The F53.22 wreck includes parts of starboard side from the turn of 15th century. The fragment of ship’s side is over 20 meters long in, and is clinker-laid, where the staves of planking overlapped one another and were fastened with iron rivets. The ship’s side also includes timbers, panelling staves, sheer strakes and gunwale beams. It is higher by one gunwale plank towards the aftercastle which unfortunately failed to survive. In terms of construction method, the ship’s side is similar to the famous 15th century hulk, Copper Ship which was recovered in 1970s and examined by the specialists of the NMM. At present, the ship can be seen in exhibition halls of the NMM main seat at Ołowianka island and in CKWS in Tczew. Because of its uniqueness, the F53.22 wreck is a valuable archaeological object providing knowledge on the construction of the 14th and 15th century vessels.
The F53.22 wreck was discovered in 2010 by the employees of the Department of Maritime Measurements of the Maritime Office.
The object is located at a depth of 5 meters near Westerplatte.
The inventory of the object was conducted by the archaeologists of the NMM in 2010, 2011 and 2015.
The dendrochronological studies proved that the ship had been constructed after 1396.
The "Gulf of Gdańsk Shipwreck Virtual Open-Air Museum" website (www.wsw.nmm.pl) has been created under the "Gulf of Gdańsk Shipwreck Virtual Open-Air Museum. Recording and Inventory of Underwater Archaeological Heritage" scientific research project, co-financed with the funds from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.