The F53.17 wreck constitutes a part of the stern of a large ship made of oak wood. The design features and the results of dendrochronological analysis indicate that the vessel was built most probably in the mid-18th century. The wreck was displaced relative to its primary location. The object is located on the south-west – north-east axis. The wreck covers the area of ca. 20m² – 5.5 meters in length, 3.10 meters in width. The analysis allowed to identify: part of sternpost of 3 meters in length; lower part of ship’s stern (deadwood), 6 floor timbers spaced on average every 35 cm apart; 6-cm-thick planks. The structural elements were fixed together with treenails.
The wreck was discovered in 2010 by the employees of the Department of Maritime Measurements in the Maritime Office in Gdynia.
The wreck is located at a depth of 5.8 meters, ca. 2 km from the entry to Nowy Port in Gdańsk and 700 meters from the coastline.
The exploratory works of the wreck were conducted by the archaeologists of the National Maritime Museum (NMM) in 2010. In 2019, the NMM research team conducted thorough site inventory by performing a 3D model.
The ship was built after 1733.
The "Gulf of Gdańsk Shipwreck Virtual Open-Air Museum" website (www.wsw.nmm.pl) has been created under the "Gulf of Gdańsk Shipwreck Virtual Open-Air Museum. Recording and Inventory of Underwater Archaeological Heritage" scientific research project, co-financed with the funds from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.